Monday, February 1, 2010

Instant Soup

I needed to make something for a potluck tonight, and decided to throw together a soup. And throw it together I did! Soup can be so easy - and healthy.

I saw this morning that I had a big can of tomatoes, an old carrot, and half an onion. I picked up a can of garbonzo beans, a couple little zucchini, a red pepper, and some spinach at the store.

I like to do all the prep for things like this ahead of time. I cut up the half onion, a clove of garlic, half the red pepper, a carrot, and the two little zucchini into pretty small pieces. I drained and rinsed the garbonzo beans, opened the large can of crushed tomatoes, and heated 2 cups of water to near boiling in the microwave and stirred in some powdered veggie stock (you could of course use any stock).

In a big pot, I sauteed the onion in a little olive oil for a few minutes, then added the rest of the chopped up veggies. After another few minutes, I added the tomatoes and the stock, the garbonzos, plus a little more water. Salt, pepper, and some dried basil completed the picture. I let it simmer for 15 or 20 minutes. Then I added a few handfuls of baby spinach and stirred it in until it wilted.

Then, it was ready to eat, but it can also stay on the stove on low for a while. I grated some parmesan cheese on top before eating. Delicious!

This soup has endless possibilities: different veggies, different kind of bean, what have you. It's a great, fast, healthy weekday main dish!

1 comment:

  1. YAY for soups! Especially this time of year - they're hearty and warming. And yes, endless possibilities. I like to change things up by adding noodles if the soup already has an italian flare to it.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts about this post? And keep it clean, people!