Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dutch Babies

I tried making something new for breakfast today - Dutch Babies! My dad's wife made us some over the holidays, and it was delicious. I remembered that I had a recipe for Dutch Babies from a B&B we stayed in a number of years ago, so I looked it up. The result was really easy and incredibly tasty topped with applesauce and maple syrup.

Here's the recipe from The Baer House Bed & Breakfast in Baker City, Oregon (I'm not sure it's still in business, but this was a great place!).

Note: measurements vary by pan size in this recipe, but are pretty proportional. In general, it's 1 to 1.5 Tblspoon butter per 1 egg and 1/4 cup of milk and flour. If you have a 3-cup pan, use that amount. If you have a 2-3 quart pan, use 3 times that much.
I used the following for my pretty big cast iron pan:

1/3 cup (6 Tblspns) butter
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour

- Put the butter in a cast iron pan and place it in a preheated 425 degree oven.
- While the butter melts, mix the batter (the eggs, milk and flour) in a blender. I also added a Tablespoon of sugar just for kicks.
- When the butter is melted and starting to brown (around 8 minutes), take the pan out of the oven and pour in the batter.
- Bake in the oven until well-browned - 15 to 30 minutes (varies by the size of the pan and the oven).
- Cut into pieces, top with anything tasty (jam, powdered sugar, maple syrup, applesauce, fruit, whatever!), and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts about this post? And keep it clean, people!