Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pesto Potato Salad


For the last Lost potluck (but don't worry, we'll find some other reason to get together and eat good food!), we were grilling. So I made potato salad. But I've never been a big fan of your standard creamy potato salad, so I made a really GOOD potato salad. I recommend it.

I cut up a bunch of yukon gold potatoes into bite sized pieces and boiled them for a few minutes until they were tender but not falling apart. I cooled them off in cold water and drained them.

Then I tossed them with olive oil, course salt, and freshly ground pepper. The not-so-gentle tossing breaks up their surfaces a bit and allows the oil and flavors to soak in.

While the taters cooled off more, I mixed up a few ice cubes of pesto (frozen from last year's garden haul), chopped up some strips of fresh basil from the garden (yes, it's growing!), and squeezed the juice from a whole lemon (probably could have used two) into a bowl and mixed it all up.

- Note: if you're making fresh pesto for this, be sure to put in garlic and plenty of salt.

Then I tossed the pesto-lemon mixture into the potatoes. Delicious!

1 comment:

What are your thoughts about this post? And keep it clean, people!